The NSW Government's Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships mean that students can get training to get the skills they need to get the job they want and their course fees will be covered.
Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships are available for:
- young people who are eligible for a concession fee
- young people who are or have been in out-of-home care
- people who are experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence and their dependants
- asylum seekers and refugees.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for a Fee-Free Scholarship, you must:
- be wanting to study a Smart and Skilled subsidised Certificate I, Certificate II, Certificate III or Certificate IV level qualification on the NSW Skills List, including those qualifications that support apprenticeships and traineeships. Use the Course Finder; and
- meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria (go to the Eligibility Checker)
- be aged between 15 and 30 years old when you start training; and
- be either the recipient of a specific Australian Government welfare benefit or allowance or the dependant of such a recipient (please refer to the fact sheet What is concession-eligible? for further details as to eligibility); or
- be aged 15-17 years old and currently in out-of-home care or aged 18-30 years old and previously have been in out-of-home care (please refer to the fact sheet Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships for young people in out-of-home care for further details as to eligibility)
- have a letter of recommendation from a domestic and family violence service, refuge or other support agency (please refer to the fact sheet Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships – People who are experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence for further details as to eligibility and information about organisations which can provide the letter); and
- be commencing training on or after 1 July 2016.
Eligible students are entitled to one Fee-Free Scholarship per financial year, and a maximum of two Fee-Free Scholarships from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2019.
Visit the Fee-Free Scholarships information page on the Training Services NSW website to get more information and to download helpful fact sheets.
How do I get the scholarship?
There's no application required.
Simply check your eligibility via Smart and Skilled website, find your course with our Course Search tool and enrol today.
For more information on your eligibility, give TAFE NSW a call on 131 601.
* The Government plans for these scholarships to be in place for the next four years.