Refunds and withdrawals

FAQs - Refunds and Withdrawals

Want to withdraw from your course or apply for a refund? Read the information below carefully to find out what you need to do.

How do I apply for a refund or withdrawal?

To withdraw from your course and seek a refund you will need to complete a Withdrawal/Refund Application Form and post it or return it to yourTAFE NSW location of enrolment.

When you withdraw from your course you will be asked if you are deferring or discontinuing your studies.

Deferring your studies means…

You can defer your course up to 12 months from your formal application. If you return to your studies within 12 months, your Smart & Skilled Student or Concession fee will not change.

If you do not return to study within this 12 month period, your student record will be updated to show you as 'withdrawn and discontinuing' your study.

Discontinuing your studies means…

You have decided to end your studies in your enrolled qualification, or you have not returned to study within 12 months of your initial deferral.

If you wish to return to complete your qualification, you will be reassessed against the Smart & Skilled eligibility and entitlement criteria, current at that time, to determine your Student fee or eligibility for a Concession fee or fee exemption.

Repeating a withdrawn and/or failed unit

Your enrolment fee covers only your first attempt of a unit of competency. From 2015, Semester 2 if you have a 'Withdrawn/Fail' or 'Not Yet Competent' result, you will need to pay a fee to complete that unit as a second attempt.

When can a refund be given?

A refund of all or part of the Smart & Skilled Student Fee or concession fee may be given in the following exceptional circumstances:

  • You have overpaid the Smart & Skilled Student Fee or concession fee.
  • You enrolled in a course that has been cancelled.
  • You have paid the full Smart & Skilled Student Fee but now receive Newstart or Austudy. NB This benefit must be received within two weeks of the date of enrolment or the date of first attendance at class or participation in training for you to eligible for a concession.
  • You have paid the full Smart and Skilled Student Fee and you have been granted Credit Transfer or Recognition of Prior Learning after commencing your study.
  • You formally advise a TAFE NSW staff member, before classes commence and with no attendance or participation in training, that you are withdrawing from the course.
  • Are eligible for a partial refund where you withdraw with notice, after commencement of classes or participation where the delivery has not commenced at time of the withdrawal notification.
  • Students who are members of the Defence Reserves. The Withdrawal/Refund process is outlined in the Student Reservist Support Policy – TAFE NSW.

If you're requesting a refund for a commercial or fee-for-service course, please contact your TAFE NSW location of enrolment for specific requirements.

More information can be found on the TAFE NSW website.
Note: Students with a VET Student loan should refer to VET Student loans.

Apprenticeships and traineeships – special circumstances

If you enrol in an approved apprenticeship or traineeship course without evidence of being an apprentice or a trainee, you will be asked to pay the relevant Smart & Skilled Student Fee for the qualification.

If you subsequently provide evidence that you were an apprentice or a trainee at the time you enrolled, you will be refunded the difference between the qualification level Student Fee and the relevant apprenticeship fee or traineeship Smart & Skilled Student Fee.

For further information please contact your local TAFE NSW Customer Service Centre on 131 601.